Please note: Links to articles or publications provided. If no links, or articles are not viewable, I’ve added “C” after those publications where clips can be provided via an attachment (.doc, .pdf, or .jpeg). Please contact me for samples of copy for businesses (not listed).
- “Honoring the Sacredness of Your Daughter’s First Period.” Parent.co. August 29, 2017.
- “A Different Kind of Reader: Parenting a Child with Dyslexia.” Parent.co. February 2017.
- “Taming the Inner Critic: Facing Off with the Voice in Your Head.” Author Magazine. March 2016.
- “Survivor: Kitchen Edition.” Kitchens & Baths. June 2013. (C)
- “Opportunities for Writers: Teaching English Abroad.” AWP Job List. Associated Writers & Writing Programs. Sept. 2012. (C)
- “Jumping Ship: Navigating the Waters of Alternative Career Options.” AWP Job List. Jan. 2012. (C)
- “Feeding Our Kids: Fats Essential for Growth.” The Coop Scoop. Honest Weight Food Coop. July/Aug. 2009.
- “The Teaching Portfolio and Your Academic Job Search.” AWP Job List. March 2008. (C)
- “Improving Your Digestion.” The Coop Scoop. Sept. 2006.(C)
- “Disaster Training: UUPer brings Program to Fruition.” The Voice. United University Professions. Jan. 2005. (C)
Posts for Falcon Scientific Editing Blog
- “How to Be a Better Editor of Your Own Work.” January 2017.
- “Five Golden Rules for Writing an Abstract.” December 2016.
- “The Proper Use of Articles in English Writing.” November 2016.
- “Important English Academic Style Guides.” November 2016.
- “Origin of the Journal Impact Factor and Its Importance for Researchers Today.” October 2016.
- “Top Ten Phrases to Avoid in Scientific Writing.” October 2016.
- “5 Common Grammar Mistakes Scientists Make in Publications.” October 2016.
Personal & Academic
- “Threads of Connections: Researching and Writing Historical Fiction.” Literary Arts Review. October 2016. (C)
- “All My Pretty Ones by Anne Sexton.” Introduction to Literary Context: American Poetry in the 20th Century. Salem Press. 2014. (Reprinted).
- “The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver.” Introduction to Literary Context: American Post-Modernist Novels. Salem Press, 2013. (Reprinted).
- “The Language of Birth” Mothering. Sept/Oct. 2006.
- “From Trauma to (Re)Birth: The Birth Story as a Site of Transformation.” JAC: A Journal of Rhetoric, Culture, and Politics. Special Issue #2 on Trauma and Rhetoric. 24.3. 2004. (C)
- “Reading Anne.” Modern Language Association. mla.org. June 2001.
- “Of Tattoos and Hair Color” Moxie: For Women Who Dare. June 2000. (C)
- “Excerpt from ‘A Manifesto for a Feminist Narrative Poetic‘.” Women Writers. July 1999.
- “Elegy for a Suicide: Writing and a Suicide Survivor.” In Surviving Literary Suicide by Jeffrey Berman. University of Massachusetts Press, 1999. (C)
- “Peeling the Egg.” Iris: A Journal about Women. April 1998. (C)
- “Don’t Throw Bouquets at Me!” Glamour. May 1997.
- “The Squatting Position.” The Amaranth Review. August 2016.
- “Five Ways to Eat a Grapefruit.” Women Writers. June 2001.
- “Five Ways to Eat a Grapefruit” was also chosen for a dramatic reading at Literally Speaking: An Evening with the Short Story (Hudson Valley Writers’ Guild), April 2005.
- The Butchering Art: Joseph Lister’s Quest to Transform the Grisly World of Victorian Medicine, by Lindsey Fitzharris. Kirkus Reviews. Aug. 22, 2017.
- Jane Sexes It Up: True Confessions of Feminist Desire, edited by Merri Lisa Johnson. Women Writers. December 2002.
- A Cross and a Star: Memoirs of a Jewish Girl in Chile, by Marjorie Agosin. Women Writers. June 2002.
- Girl with a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier. Women Writers. December 2001.
- Reflections of Loko Miwa: A Novel, by Lilas Desquiron. Translated from French by Robin Orr Bodkin. MELUS: Journal of the Society for the Study of Multi-Ethnic Literature in the United States. 24.3. Fall 1999. (C)
For a complete list of publications and clients, clips of printed work, rates, or a resume, please contact me at alyssabcolton [at]gmail.com, or leave a comment on my blog.